Latha Ramchand is Dean at the C. T. Bauer College of Business at the University of Houston. She has previously served as Associate Dean, Programs and Administration and Associate Dean of Graduate and Professional Programs. In the latter role, she oversaw all of Bauer College’s post graduate and professional programs, including faculty and staff who serve the following areas: Master of Business Administration (MBA), Executive MBA Master of Science in Accountancy, Master of Science in Finance, Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) and a variety of professional programs including Energy Certificate Programs. As Associate Dean of Programs and Administration, she was responsible for oversight of all of Bauer’s academic programs.
She is also a Professor of Finance at the C.T. Bauer College of Business and teaches in the areas of Corporate and International Finance and Risk Management. She received her Ph.D. in finance at Northwestern University where she attended the Kellogg Graduate School of Management. She is a gold medalist in Economics from Bombay University where she graduated with a master’s degree in Economics. Professor Ramchand has taught in the MBA programs at the Kellogg Graduate School of Management, Northwestern University, the University of Houston and the Indian School of Business.
Her research interests include international and corporate finance. She has won several awards for her publications including Best Paper Award in International Finance. She is a recipient of the UH Faculty Excellence Proclamation awarded by the Houston City Council (1995). Her publications have appeared in prestigious finance journals and she has presented her work at various national and international conferences. She is a CFA charter holder and is a member of the Houston Society for Financial Analysts.
Bauer College’s graduate program is ranked 12th in the nation and 5th among public universities for producing CEO’s of S&P 500 companies, according to Bloomberg Markets. Bauer is ranked among the top 20 public EMBA programs in the U.S. according to a Financial Times 2006 ranking. Bauer’s evening MBA program was ranked No. 1 in Houston, 4th in the Southwest, and 27th in the U.S. by BusinessWeek.
- International Asset Pricing Models
- Global Equity Issues
- Home Bias in Portfolio Composition
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Corporate Governance and Leadership
Areas of Expertise
- Corporate Finance
- International Finance
- “Takeovers, Monitoring and International Corporate Governance”, (with P. Kumar), Rand Journal of Economics, 2009.
- “Coming to America: IPOs from Emerging Market Issuers”, (with R. Bruner and S.Chaplinsky), Emerging Markets Review, Volume 7, Issue 3, September 2006.
- “Does the method of entry matter: Evidence from Indian ADRs and GDRs”, (with M.Kalimipalli), Pacific Basin Finance Journal, September 2006.
- “The Underpricing of Equity IPOs that Follow Debt IPOs” (with K. Cai and A. Warga), Financial Management, 2003.
- “U.S.-Bound IPOs: Entry Costs and Market Selectivity” (with B. Robert and S. Chaplinksy), Financial Management, 2003.
- “The Impact of SEC Rule 144A on Corporate Debt Issuance by International Firms” (with S. Chaplinksy), Journal of Business
- “The Impact of Global Equity Offerings” (with S. Chaplinksy), (2000), Journal of Finance, Vol 55, pp 2767-2790.
- “Changes in systematic risk following global equity issuance” (with P. Sethapakdi), (2000), Journal of Banking and Finance, 24, pp 1491-1513.
- “Variances and Covariances of International Stock Returns: The International CAPM Revisited” (with R. Susmel) 1998, Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Vol.8, No.1, pp 39-58.
- “Volatility and Cross Correlation in Global Equity Markets” (with R. Susmel) 1998, Journal of Empirical Finance, Volume 5, No.4, October 1998, pp 397-416.
- “Asset pricing in international markets in the context of agent heterogeneity and market incompleteness”, forthcoming, Journal of International Money and Finance, 1999, 18, 871-890.
- “Changes in Liquidity Following Exposure to Foreign Shareholders: The Effect of Foreign Listings and Issues of American Depositary Receipts by Indian Firms” (with M. Kalimipalli), 2001, National Stock Exchange India Limited.
- “Differences in Accounting Standards and Ease of Entry into the U.S. Market: A Survey of Foreign Films Raising Equity in the U.S.” (with S. Khumawalla), 2002, Public Funds Digest, Vol II, No. 1, 68-84.
- “Country Level Corruption and Frequency of Issue in th U.S. Market” (with S. Khumawalla), Journal of Public Budgeting, Accountability and Financial Management.